Friday, December 20, 2013

Chad Burton Final


It's a pamphlet advertising for VHZ, a Malagasy EFY (it's a real thing)


I wanted to keep the images as big as possible, so if it's not visible behind the text, right click on the image and click: "View image in new tab." If you're on a Mac, click it with two fingers and then click: "View image in new tab."

It's difficult to imagine a pamphlet folded on a blog... but imagine this folded:





















The graphics and images were edited and made in Photoshop, and the organization and pages were made in Indesign. 





Explanation of final project:

My project definitely had a goal.  I wanted to motivate people to donate to VHZ, a youth camp for Malagasy teenagers (it’s a real program that I’m running).
So the motivation was a goal. However, my desired resonse was an emotional one.
Consider this. Most Malagasies live on less than a dollar a day. They are so poor that no one has running water or indoor plumbing of any kind, and outside the capital city no one has electricity. I saw starving children every day, and it hurt me to watch.
I want to give this conference to Malagasies because I know they are my brothers and sisters; they were just born into a different circumstance.
The desired response from the pamphlet? To help people feel for these young Malagasies as I do. To get people to feel like they want to help. And to get people to feel like VHZ will be a good program and bring joy to the lives of Malagasies. That’s my message and desired response.


 Design principles I used from class.

1. I definitely used a color scheme. The whole thing follows this pattern:It’s a complimentary relationship between the colors. If you look at the boy on the front page… his shirt was actually yellow. I changed the hue in Photoshop to fit the color scheme. Also, the EFY counselor polo was not blue but red. I changed the hue again to follow the pattern Light to a bit darker blue, orangeish brownish, and redish were the colors I used. The textboxes ended up being a bit darker color of blue so the text would show up, but they are a similar shade.

2.  Typography and spacing was very important. I changed every font in Photoshop and tried to use white space effectively. If you look at the cover, the top title is arched and underneath that has texture behind the text. The box also has texture and has a bit of a 3d look. This hopefully made it pop out.

3.  I used a bunch of balance and symmetry as well. Most of the pictures were weighted evenly on both sides. However, if you look at every page or column individually, I tried to weight things evenly. Whenever there was a picture on the left, I tried to put one on the right. I learned this in the readings we did for class.

Also, check out the website www.malagasyyouthstories.blogspot.com. That’s not just written, that’s a real site that I made as a part of this project. The QR code on the back of the pamphlet is real as well, should take you directly to that site.


In addition, most of the photos had backgrounds even if they were removed in the pamphlet. I used Photoshop skills I learned in this class to do that. Also I changed the levels, brightness contrast, and coloring of each photo. All of the photos but two were taken by me… so photography also played a part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment