Friday, December 20, 2013

Final Project: CES Invite

For my final project, as organizing conventions is part of public relations, I designed an invite for the International Consumer Electronics Show.

Cover:

Inside left:
Inside right:

Design elements:

1. I used the gestalt principle of closure with the dotted figure outlines. Even though the outlines are broken up, it's still easy to tell that they are in the shape of people.

2. I used Adobe Kuler to do the color scheme, adapted from the CES logo. The primary color of the invite is a calm teal, and certain important words in the text are made to stand out more by using its complementary color.

3. For the text on the inside left, I used different styles of type to emphasize certain words and convey emotions. The first sentence, all in caps and using the Trajan font, feels more declarative and bold. I felt the statement "technology is nothing" required an extra authoritative punch in order to be taken seriously.

The message I am trying to convey with this piece is sort of a reversal of what you might think a convention about gadgets and gizmos would be about. Instead of focusing on the tools at the show themselves, I want the reader to think about the greater purpose of technology and how we can use it to amplify what makes humanity great.

The line "It just wouldn't work without you" is both an invitation to the trade show and a statement about how without the human element, technology is meaningless.

-Jackson Hadley


No comments:

Post a Comment