Friday, December 20, 2013

Special Ed Program Promo

I decided to do a promotional video highlighting the Special Education Masters program for the McKay School of Education.  The video is intended for those in the education realm looking for post-graduate possibilities.  With the limitation of time on the video there wasn't really time to explain what the whole program was so my goal was to make a tease on what the program is and what makes it so great with the intention of leading people to the website.  I used a teacher and a student from the program to help promote it. 

As far as the principles that I used there were quite a few that ended up influencing how I shot and edited the video.  I used many different theories within each principle so I'll highlight what specific theories I used and why.

1)  Composition - This principle was very important from the beginning with setting up and actually shooting the video.  I definitely relied on the 'rule of thirds' for the majority of the shots that I took with both the interviews and the B-roll.  I also used a shallow depth of field with the shot of Prof. Ashbaker teaching in focus and the students out of focus to highlight her teaching.

2)  Film/Motion - This is where a lot of the influence from what we learned about in class showed - obviously because I chose to make a video.  With the editing I tried to make the cuts between the teacher and student easy for the eye to follow so when one shot cuts to the next your eyes don't have to search for a new focal point.  I also used tracking shots to keep with the pacing and quick cuts since this video is so short.  I chose this to help the video move along rather than stopping to look at stationary shots.  Lighting also was important with this video.  I used the window for a bright, natural light for the student interview to keep the video light and to help show that the student was happy and enjoying the program.

3)  Typography - I used simple motion graphics to bring the viewer in and out of the video.  I used a sans serif font because I wanted it to look simple and catch the eye quickly since there wouldn't be a lot of reading to do (just as headlines are sans serif and can be glanced at quickly).  I also used a subtle motion element with the opening question moving in as if it is asking the viewer, while the website title at the end is moving out to influence the viewer to move on to the website.

I tried to imbed the video but was having difficulties so I will just add the link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5NAwjb5E50wT3Bnd3g1T056S0U/edit?usp=sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment