Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pro Looks Good on You




I love GoPro the product, but I think their advertising tends to alienate potential buyers who aren't the "extreme" sports-type people. So, I built a concept around something everyone can relate to: glasses. These are mocks of a billboard series that GoPro could use to relate to the everyday consumer. In the glasses I picked images that resonate with everyone, not just extreme sports people. With everyday images I wanted to stress that GoPro is for everyone, for activities outside of extreme sports.  It can be for something as trivial as a sunset, like the first image, or something as engaging as a baseball game. You'll notice that each of the glasses is fashioned after a style that matches the depicted activity. This gives the series a similar feel while also making it unique for each billboard.

The copy "looks good on you" encourages potential users to engage in a more active lifestyle, but also makes the concept of "pro" more accessible. I used composition to create a very clean look. I used the font bebas neue because it has a similar feel to the GoPro logo type. Bebas neue also offers a trendy, clean look without looking overly trendy. Billboards need to be concise and sharp, so that's what I tried to construct. I manipulated vector images of glasses to create the outlines I needed. I then selected panoramic images and used a clipping mask to give them the proper shape. The glasses then channel the attached image to the viewer, as if they're almost there experiencing it themselves.

2 comments: