Friday, December 20, 2013

Out with the smog and in with the Christmas Cheer!

We are all aware of the huge smog issue that Salt Lake and the Provo are have especially during the winter. I usually go to Salt Lake at least two to three times a week and noticed that for such a bad smog problem we really aren’t doing much to solve it. The only advertisements that I have seen concerning the problem are the electronic signs that say, “share a ride to reduce smog”. Well I thought I could come up with a better ad than that. So I decided to create three billboards for the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT).

Many Design elements were used in designing these billboards. The first thing that I wanted to use was COLOR. I used I contrasting colors that would grab the attention of those that are driving by it. I also used the Gestalt principle of Proximity to use a bunch of small toy icons to make a larger image that looks like a wrapped present. I also used the principle of  similarity in make a Christmas tree out of traffic lanes with the HOV lanes signature double white lines. The last design principle that I used was Typography. I tried to use a mix of modern fonts and some handwritten fonts to give it a clean look but to also incorporate the Christmas theme that I wanted to use. I also used

Overall I wanted to achieve holiday billboards that would encourage people in a creative and remember able way to think twice about carpooling and to use the great public transit that we have here in the area to reduce the amount of smog that we battle the valley.




No comments:

Post a Comment