Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Final Project: Minivan Mayhem

My wife and I said we would never buy a minivan. For 11 years we owned SUVs for the family car... but when kid #3 rolled around, reality set in and we caved in. So, in an effort to make myself feel good about our minivan purchase I created three print ads giving credibility to how far minivans have come since their inception.

For the first ad, I used what I would call a nontraditional radial design. I placed images of some of the ugliest minivans of the past on a rotary wheel. This made the ad interactive. You can rotate the wheel and see the five minivans along with a nickname for each and the year they were released. I included a second image of the wheel cut-out so you can see how it worked. For the tagline at the bottom I played around with the type by putting it in parenthesis and using italics to create an "I'm going to let you in on a little secret" type of feel.


For ad #2 I used the Gestalt principle of proximity. This contrasts the dorky past of minivans against the modern, aesthetic looks of the Toyota Sienna. I also used light colored backgrounds for the boxes to make the ad pop a little bit.
Ad #3 relied on different type for the three minivan titles. I chose different styles and font sizes. I also used kearning to make the letter spacing look right.


No comments:

Post a Comment