Thursday, December 19, 2013

Final Project- Southern Christian Conservatives for Immigration Reform

Overall my campaign was to raise awareness among southern Christian Conservative people to empathize a little bit more with immigration reform. Many of these pastors have cried from the pulpit to stop the vitriol in much of the language down there but it is having a hard time catching on. I hope this campaign would have the effect of letting people know that it is actually okay to be a christian and support immigration reform. This might seem intuitive to many, but many people are constantly afraid to speak up when stern talking points are drilled into many heads down there.


#1            


        












          In this image I wanted people to question their own patriotic
values and how they align them with their religious values. The use of
the flag contrasted against the fence that the blacked out faces has
several semiotic implications. The flag is a sign for freedom and
American values, this would include religious values with many
associated the two as one in the same. Part of Christianity's messages
is saving people, or letting people out of the bonds of imprisonment
and sin. The border and gate represents this. I also wanted to scream
this. I wanted people to get angry, in support or rejection because I
think the most important way to get this issue to move is by people
interacting and thinking about this issue.

Color- I wanted the darker colors in this image to convey a mood of
solemnity and fear. The brightest colors and hues are reflected in the
American flag.


Proximity- The images of the blacked out faces trying to reach through
the gate is directly in front of the American flag. This is to group
the two together and make it seem like the people are reaching for
that flag, which represents freedom.

Typography- I wanted to be bold in what I am saying. This message is
for southern Christian conservatives who are pretty much set in their
ways. Most ad campaigns cannot change people’s points of views
completely but what they can do is get people to rethink what they
believe. My hope with this bold statements and type is to get this
thought out there that some evangelicals are actually for
compassionate immigration reform.



#2           




        In this image I wanted people to think about the ramifications that
broken immigration laws have on children. I found some photos of many
Latino children with flags to put in here to remind people that many
of these people feel more American than illegal. No child is illegal
and I wanted people to think about this. If Southern evangelical
Christians think about the children in these cases they won’t have time
to spew vitriolic racist views about their parents.

The rule of thirds- I wanted to divide the image up into four
categories. The use of a crucifix shape allowed me to do this. You
will notice that they are not all evenly distributed boxes for the
images but rather are more like a crucifix than a cross. This is so
that the eye can better read the photo and understand its message.

Color- I wanted to contrast the lack of color in the other photos and
their sketchbook filter to show that those without family bonds in one
country are not complete happy families. The color in the last photo
is to show the happy disposition of a united family.

Continuation- I wanted the audience's eyes to move from one image to
the next. I was able to enhance this gestalt principle by placing the
focus of the picture in the bottom right quadrant.


#3    


      
   I wanted Southern Christian Conservatives who oppose immigration
reform to think about the implications that this has on traditional
families. I often heard working in a Senator's office this summer
people from the south call in and cry (literally cry) about how "these
godless immigrants are coming over here and destroying Christian
America". If they remember that these immigrants are god-fearing
people like themselves this vitriol will hopefully end somewhat. I
used the word "traditional families" so that Christians are given
thinking about their fervor against gay marriage and try to use that
same fervor to support families through immigration reform. If they
care about families that much then they will do what it takes to help
them out here. I also used the crucifix shape so they recall their
Christian values.

Closure- In putting the faces in the middle of the photo and the text
on top I wanted the eyes to think of a flag.

Color- I relied on he semiotic recall of the audience to think of the
American flag with the use of red and blue and leaving lighter hues
that are more white-based.


Rule of thirds. I didn't want to put any images or eyes in the middle
but rather gave them different sizes and positions so that some eyes
are easier to see than others but that the audience always has
somewhere to look and the image draws in the audience.


-Collin Pace

No comments:

Post a Comment