Friday, December 20, 2013

Hope for Paws Rescue Organization-FINAL PROJECT

Hope for Paws is a rescue organization based out of L.A and I wanted to help raise awareness of their company. I grew up fostering dogs within my own home so I felt passionate about this organization.

What I was trying to accomplish:

You'll usually see adoption ads and humane society ads with dogs IN them. I wanted to do a sequence of advertisements with the absence of dogs. I wanted to show the absence of dogs because I want to try to communicate that these dogs are not in the ads because they are on the streets, hurt, or being euthanized. They require our help to be rescued. So I thought of everything that dogs loved, and then portrayed those things without the actual dog- as if the dog were invisible.

Here is a print ad. 
Then here are my two billboards



Design principles:
Composition and Typography:
All of the key dog objects I tried to place on the rule of thirds. I really wanted to draw the eye to the objects. I tried to be very careful about the placement of the objects. For example, when taking these photos I tried to use the snow to my advantage to accentuate the collar at the end of the leash to contrast with the snow. For the typography I wanted something very simple and similar to the font of the organization. I designed the logo, slogan, and then the email address at the bottom with a simple bolded sans serif font. I didn't want the typography to take away from the image so then I thought of connecting the typography to the image through color.

Color:
I wasn't planning on fooling around with color as much as I did. When I took the photos I felt like there were so many colors and so many things going on that I realized I ONLY wanted the dog associated objects to stand out. So I changed everything to black and white except for adding the natural colors of the dog objects. I wanted to convey that these things bring life and color into a world just as a dog can do into someone's life. I wanted to attach the name of the dog "Spot" to the object. I decided to name the "invisible" dog Spot so I color coordinated the object with the font of "Spot"- so in the mind of the viewer they go hand in hand.   

Gestalt Principles:
I tried to incorporate a couple of gestalt's theories. One of them is in the leash print ad where I tried to use his continuation principle. The eye regularly starts at the top left hand corner of the page so that's where I made the leash start and then I wanted the eye to continue down to the empty collar. The other principle I tried to use was closure. I'm hoping that through these ads the viewer is trying to fill in the information that isn't there. I want people to start thinking and filling in the gaps.



No comments:

Post a Comment