Friday, December 20, 2013

Mistletoe Awareness Campaign

For my project I decided to do 3 posters for the fictional "Utah Mistletoe Farmers" association. Because it was completely imaginary I imagined a small group of farmers going for a low-cost awareness campaign and hanging posters throughout Utah to remind grocery shoppers that mistletoe is an essential and fun part of the holiday season.









What I was trying to achieve: I am no advertising student, but I wanted to get across the idea that mistletoe is a playful, fun, festive, and often forgotten part of the holidays. It might not be the catchiest phrases or the most intriguing print but I think I executed on what I thought the objective of this whole class was- to become more "visually literate" and learn how to design and recognize images using well-known principles. 
I had a lot of fun with this assignment. For the first one I wanted to demonstrate some of the ideas we learned with foreground/background that contributes to most of the optical illusions we see today. I hope this is obvious, but I took the well known vase / face illusion and played with that a little bit. 
In all three of the posters I played with the idea of proximity when I created the mistletoe balls. In the first and last one, they're not one big circle, but lots of little ones put next to each other. In the second poster, there is not a ball at all, but a bunch of x's and o's that fall within the shape of a circle. 
The last thing I focused on was my use of typography. In class we learned not to use too many fonts, preferably two, and to make sure they are contrasting. The cursive I chose reminded me of Christmas and seemed fun and romantic- but still legible which is important. The sans-serif Roman font I used for the other print was easy to read and clean. I thought they went together nicely. 
I had a lot of fun with this project and spent a lot of time, I hope it shows! Thanks for a fun class, I really enjoyed it and feel much more capable in things like Illustrator. 
Ali Noorda (Public Relations)

No comments:

Post a Comment