Thursday, December 19, 2013

Final Project- Texting Billboards

For my final project I wanted to address something that could be an issue for most ages, but particularly a younger demographic, or those in this class. I chose to create a billboard campaign for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that demonstrated the real dangers of texting while driving. Each of the three images used shows more than just the driver in danger. Often times we assume that we are only putting our own lives at risk and many times we might be "okay" with that. In each example I wanted to show that when you choose to text and drive, you are putting more than your life at risk.

1) In this billboard I used asymmetrical symmetry to balance the different elements. The words, "on my way, traffic was terrib" use proximity to the phone to signify a text message. Also the color chosen for the words, yellow and black, correlate to the NHTSA symbol and to symbols and lines found on the road. 
For this billboard I attempted to put us all in that drivers seat and realize that we could put others in danger when we use our phone and drive. We have all been through bad traffic and needed to tell someone we are going to be late. I liked the idea of the photo, because it almost puts the viewer in the drivers seat and it is a powerful reminder that a text while driving can take a life.
2)For the second billboard as well as asymmetrical symmetry, the boys image is also a demonstration of figure ground, because he is not the focus, the driver is. The image is also follows the rule of thirds. I attempted to achieve the same feeling of being the careless driver, as in the first, however I wanted to throw in an element of sarcasm. I chose to do this to remind drivers that no text is important enough to risk a life, even if it is 3 letters and the last text received was really that funny.

3) For the final billboard I used light as an important element to show the imminent danger. I also used the headlights in the middle as bilateral symmetry. The colored words"her" and "you" were used to make an impression about who is affected by distracted driving. That is the central message that I am attempting to achieve: You (mainly parents) have to be free of distraction because they can't take the wheel and they are likely more vulnerable in a collision than you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment