Thursday, December 19, 2013

Billboard final




Design Principles:

Alyssa Chard
Compositional Elements in Final Project
Comms 303

·      I used the rule of thirds to place the images for my three billboards.  In the rule of thirds, an image is divided into nine and specific objects should be placed at the intersection of the lines or at the horizontal lines to create more tension, energy and interest rather than simply centering the subject of the image. In billboard one (of the snowman), the snowman would be at the intersection of the lines and the horizon line would be at the horizontal dividing line. I used similar patterns in my composition of the polar bears as well as the girl in a bikini sun bathing in the arctic snow.
·      Typography was an important element in my final project. I researched colors that invoke a feeling of warmth.  Dark red was one of those colors, which is the reason I chose to use red in the three images to convey a feeling of warmth.  I chose to use the same font to carry through the billboards on which I used words because I felt the font conveyed a rustic feeling and was a little bit adventurous. When I think of cold days on the arctic tundra I think of it being a little rustic and a little adventurous to brave those elements.
·      Figure/Ground in my composition was another element I focused on. I used the same background throughout all the images of the arctic tundra so that the same theme easily carried through my entire project. I used just one stark image in all the billboards to contrast the vast expanse of arctic ice in comparison to the figures pictured.  

The theme that I am trying to achieve in these three pieces is that UGG boots are incredibly warm.  I chose to portray a woman in a bikini sunbathing in the arctic tundra wearing UGG boots to emphasize how warm these boots are, that they provide the ultimate gift of warmth, even in a ridiculous situation like a woman who decides she wants to sunbathe in the arctic snow. 

I chose to put UGG boots on polar bears suggesting that even the most seasoned animals for the cold want to wear UGG boots because they provide so much warmth.

Finally, I chose to place a snowman in the arctic wearing a pair of UGG boots.  The idea is that the boots are so warm that even something made possible because of the cold and snow (a snowman) wants to wear the boots because it keeps him warm.

Overall, the message I am conveying is that UGG boots are incredibly warm and are the perfect solution for everyone’s cold feet during the winter months.  


No comments:

Post a Comment