Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A Weekend in St. George

     I spent the weekend in St. George, UT and took my camera everywhere I went to complete this assignment. I captured a number of images that demonstrated each type of composition. Here are the best examples I could find of good composition.


I went for a walk out in the desert one morning and noticed these beautiful bright orange flowers. Though this image isn't a perfect example of radial symmetry, the subject of the photo certainly is. This vibrant desert flower has five delicate petals of similar size and shape that radiate from an equally delicate center comprised of tens of tiny balls of pollen.


Also, while hiking around, I stumbled upon this scene and thought it was an excellent example of asymmetrical balance. The foreground and background are equally weighted and the rule of thirds is present in several ways. Of equal importance to the balance of this photo is its long depth of field which adds drama to the gnarled tree in the foreground and the rising sun in the background.



Finally, I found a number of examples of bilateral symmetry; however, none of them were nearly as good as this one. Not only is the temple itself almost completely symmetrical, but the plants in both the foreground and the mid-ground are weighted evenly and distributed symmetrically  On top of that, even the gradation of blues in the background of the photo appear to be nearly symmetrical on either side of the building.




No comments:

Post a Comment