Tuesday, October 29, 2013

#WomanCrushTuesday





For this picture, I created a shallow depth of field by focusing on my woman crush (wife) 's face, which cause the nature in the background to blur. Compositionally, the picture feels interesting and balanced because it adheres to the rule of thirds.



In true Halloween spirit, I found a ghost a in the woods and took a picture. Who knew it would look exactly like my wife? From a long shutter speed and a little bit of motion, this ghostly (ghastly) blur was born. It creates an interesting compositional element as it pulls her to the center (a general photography no-no). Here body, and the blur of her body create an element of asymmetrical balance.




I got this idea from Kevin Russ, one of my favorite iPhone photographers. I used a 2.5 second shutter speed and adjusted the aperture to 22 to let in as little light as possible. The running water seems to blend in some celestial way. On a compositional front, the focal point with the mini waterfall is off-center, drawing from the rule of thirds. The main compositional element is the boulder, which should feel too heavy, but it actually serves to balance out the drama of the flowing water and the space of the foreground, executing the principle of asymmetrical symmetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment