Thursday, October 31, 2013

symmetry in pictures

For my pictures, I focused on a lot of man-made things that obviously have some sort of symmetry or balance intentionally put into their design. It was interesting to see how many industrial things incorporate these principles and we don't even notice!

Surprisingly, I found a ton of things with radial symmetry. I took pictures of clocks, the knobs on my stove, the burners on my stove, flowers, and more. I had never realized how much we use balanced circles. I am a big watch person, so of course I had to pick a picture of my favorite watch.

Next was asymmetrical balance. This is EVERYWHERE, but it was hard to capture it in an aesthetically pleasing way. I really like the way my roommate decorates her room, she doest a good job with balancing things both symmetrically and asymmetrically. I also thought this was a good example because we can see symmetry in her little porcelain of the Salt Lake temple and radial symmetry in her owl picture frame. 


Last but not least, bilateral symmetry! My roommate went to the movies and brought home popcorn last night, I thought this was a great example. If you cut the the heart right down the middle it is perfectly even. This is mirrored in the rough edge in the popcorn bag, as well as the print and the popcorn kernels. Although it isn't perfect, maybe even a little asymmetrical (the kernels and print specifically) you can see the balance and how it is attractive to the eye. Well done, Coke.

No comments:

Post a Comment