Tuesday, October 29, 2013

yrtemmySymmetry

As I was laying in my room one night, I was thinking about what on earth I could take a photo of…and then noticed how similar my roommate and I had organized our closets. It's not perfect, but as far as balance in concerned, I'd say it's an interesting example of Bilateral Symmetry.


Our shoes, guitars, clothing, bins, and even other items on the upper shelf are placed in a very similar, symmetrical position. The large dresser and box of tissues in the center also further accentuate this balance.

For my next picture, I discovered that the soccer ball which my friends and I often play with is patterned with a unique design which uses several principles of radial symmetry. The circular symbol itself is radial symmetry, with the triangular positioning and curving lines also adding elements of radial symmetry to the overall pattern. I also nudged the seat a little closer to my roommate's shoe…to add a little bit of intrigue since it's partially cut out of the picture.


Lastly, I was on my way home from class yesterday when I spotted what I felt was a beautiful scene near the north side of campus:


I tried to use the rule of thirds as much as possible while still getting everything I saw into the picture. While the trees, flagpole, and perspective of the AOSAB are in no means symmetrical, the picture seems somehow balanced. Interestingly, the AOSAB is also a good example of bilateral symmetry, and being slightly off-center and in the background seems to add the overall appeal of this photo. I feel like it's a pretty good example of asymmetrical balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment