Monday, October 28, 2013

Composition - Framed Nature

Bilateral Symmetry - I stumbled across this gem at a car wash. The stall makes a nice frame. I wish I had a more advanced camera so I could adjust the depth of field. A long depth of field would be cool with far in sharp focus and near out of focus to highlight the tree instead of the cone.


Radial Symmetry - The overhead view of this plant is quite spectacular. Add a high saturation filter and the colors become more vibrant. Too bad there wasn't a bug on the plant or something. Then I would use a shallow depth of field to narrow in on the insect.

Asymmetrical Balance - I used the rule of thirds for this photo. The trunk of the tree lies on one line. The picket fence sort of sweeps across another. I had originally intended this image to be bilaterally symmetrical but the composition looks much nicer after a bit of cropping. I long depth of field is appropriate for this picture because beauty is found in the fence, in the bark, in the fence, in the leaves, and in the house. Every part of the photo is important. There is a good balance in visual weight. The fence balances out the branches. The house balances out the trunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment