Monday, October 28, 2013

Symmetry for Dummies

Asymmetrical Balance
I used the rule of thirds to make the cat the focal point of the picture.  I aligned the top line with the top of the pillow, and the cats face is at the intersection of two lines.  The heart pillow balances the cat without completely overtaking the photo.  

Radial Symmetry 
Flowers are the easy way out with radial symmetry.  The flower is completely based around the center. Not all the petals are exactly the same, but they balance each other.

Bilateral Symmetry 
I took this picture at Bridal Veil Falls yesterday.  The falls are not 100% symmetrical, but the colors and textures are similar on both sides.  The plane falls right down the center of the falls.  If I were closer to the falls, I would have missed some of the great symmetry because the picture would have been more detail focused; when looking at the details it's obviously not symmetrical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment