Monday, October 28, 2013

Symmetrical Photography

My first photo shows bilateral symmetry.  I put my camera on the ground for this shot, so as to take out as much background as I could, and focus only on the tracks.  The tracks are of equal width, height, and length. In addition to the bilateral symmetry, you can see the depth of this photo as well.  The small rocks close to the lens help add to the effect of the tracks seemingly disappearing in the distance.

My next photo shows radial symmetry.  I was walking past some construction and saw this pipe lying on the ground.  I put my camera into the end and took this shot.  What we see is the tiny light at the other end acting as the focal point, with the rest of the pipe revolving around it.
My third photo is an example of asymmetrical balance.  I stood in the middle of the street and took the shot looking down past all the trees and cars on either side.  Even though the cars and trees are different/in different positions on either side of the street, it feels like both sides are equally weighted.
I know we were only supposed to use three photos, but I couldn't resist using this one.  This is probably one of my favorite pictures (and not simply because it has my wife in it) because of how most of what you're seeing in this picture is isn't really there.  The illusory properties of the wall of reflective windows gives this photo a level of depth that otherwise wouldn't be present.

No comments:

Post a Comment