Monday, October 28, 2013

Composition/Photography

I liked this assignment a lot because it made me look at the way I take photos in a different way. Instead of just holding up my camera, pointing, and then shooting, I actually thought about the composition of what I was taking a picture of. Is this bilateral symmetry, radial symmetry, asymmetrical balance or maybe even none of these?

In this first photo a friend of mine and I were out having a relaxing lunch and chat session on Friday and afterwards decided to frolic in the leaves, as is appropriate for this time of year. In this photo I tried to incorporate asymmetrical balance by not having my body placed right in the center of the shot, but with ensuring that the photo still had visual weight to it.




The second photo was taken at a Halloween party for the French club that I attended last Thursday. For the photo I tried to use bilateral symmetry by having my friend Elisabeth and I, though we are clearly not identical, have roughly the same pose. We were placed so that if you cut through the middle of the image you have two roughly symmetrical halves.


For my third, I had trouble taking a photo that exhibited radial symmetry, even though I feel like it is something that is common in nature I just didn't feel like I could find anything that I loved. So I decided to create something by having a baking fiesta and arranging my spoils in an almost circle. This creates a central axis that the rest of the photo radiates from. 


No comments:

Post a Comment