Sunday, October 13, 2013

Snapshot of American Indians (from India)





I began my post with the images I found in the media representing Indians in America. I found it so strange that when I googled Indians the only thing that popped up for the whole first page were about Native Americans. I then googled Indians from India in America, and Native Americans still came up in the images section of the search engine! I found this frustrating and very strange that a huge part of the population of the world isn't all over the internet, but then I realized this is the story of Indians in America: there really isn't one. They are unknown, but slowly in modern society are they beginning to appear. 
I started my post with a Bollywood video. This, to me, is Indian culture. They love music, they love dance, they love costumes, they love being happy, they love being entertained, and they have made a billion dollar industry from it. In America now, we randomly see Bollywood films pop up, and they are enjoyed generally, just because they are entertaining. The next artifact I chose is men in India in line to vote. I know in America, in school, I learned about women being able to vote, I learned about black people being able to vote, I learned about all the European countries and if they vote, I even learned about Islamic countries and if they were allowed to vote in them, but never did I learn about India and if Indians were allowed to vote. India in American schools is pretty much unknown, besides when we talked about the East India Tea Company in relation to the American Revolution. India has been unknown to the American people until recently when television shows have featured Indian people, like the Mindy Project. Also, now that we are in the age of telemarketers India is known for call centers and technology support. This doesn't present Indians in the best light, and has given them the stereotype that Indians cannot speak English, nor can they do more than answer phones in India. This argument of Indians is so limiting to the population, and gives them a reputation that isn't true whatsoever. Indians have done a lot for American society in modern society. They have made such advances in the medical field and in the science field. Many have advanced in American politics as well, and most recently, and Indian won Miss America. 
Indians in America have been represented in a way that isn't indicative of their beautiful culture and their contributions to the world. While the Indians are a smart culture, they are not accurately represented in America, and their story in America is limiting to them. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree. It's interesting that we don't really know that much about Indian history here in America. When I think of India, I usually just think of Ghandi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend in middle school who was from India and he was always offended that we called Native Americans Indians. In all honesty, I don't care on way or the other but I would agree that maybe Indians aren't represented strongly enough here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is weird how I am familiar with two separate stereotypes of Indians that seem rather contradictory- 1) they hardly speak English but they make up all the major call and technical support center staffs, and 2) they are all super smart doctors. I noticed that nobody else in this post seemed to also have heard the second story.

    ReplyDelete