Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Eternal Mirrors + Organized Chaos

The first part of this assignment that I am posting is the picture that I took that follows the Gestalt principles. In our apartment, we have a really large bathroom that has two big mirrors on each side that creates this effect of the eternal mirror. This follows two the Gestalt principles. The first one is continuity. When you look at my roommate with the white-collared shirt you see that there are many of him that form a line that slowly gets smaller and smaller. This causes your eyes to move along that line of the many hims. The same thing to a lesser extent due to the angle can be seen with my other roommate sitting on the table in the middle and myself on the left holding my camera. The second principle that this follows is similarity. All the Spencers would be grouped into the first group. The Chrises would be the second group. Finally, the Adams would be the third group. 



The second photo, which is on the bottom of this page, is my own creation on MS Paint. I've never considered myself an artist, but this I actually am quite proud of. I started doing one thing, then I just got extremely carried and kept adding and adding more things to the picture and the final result is what I call Organized Chaos. I ended up covering all of the Gestalt principles with this. Not only did I do that, but I did several examples of each. I'll let you stare at this picture and figure out most of them, but for assignments sake, I will give you one example of each.

First, continuity. See the red arrows. All of them point in the same direction, and being that they are in the form of a triangle, not only do your eyes go from right to left, but they also go from top to bottom. You start by focusing on the whole right side and you end up in the bottom left corner.

Second, similarity. There are a bunch of yellow boxes in the picture that immediately get perceived as being one group.

Third, proximity. The green squares are in four different sections. Each section can be seen as one unit.

Fourth, closure. The words "Organized Chaos" that are spread across the screen are in a font that doesn't connect the lines in each letter, but our mind makes the connection to read the each word.

Finally, figure/ground. Go back to the green squares. Looking at them, they are organized in such a manner that the whole thing forms a football-type circle. But do you notice the cross in between?


No comments:

Post a Comment