Tuesday, October 22, 2013

We don't need Closure

Everyday at work I see this symbol:
The logo uses Gestalt principles such as closure.  Even though the image is not complete, we are able to complete it ourselves.  I had never noticed how unrealistic the eagle image is until we discussed these principles in class.  Yet, we all know exactly what it is and immediately understand the relationship to the company since we often associate eagles with America.

For my own composition I took a similar approach.  I was also feeling festive:
Tell me you don't know what this is!  This image uses a couple Gestalt principles.  First, closure.  When you know what you are looking at it is obviously an incomplete image but we are still able to comprehend it.  Also the positioning and grouping of the triangles applies to the principle of proximity.  Our minds naturally perceive these groups as similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment