Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Accidental Art through the eyes of a child

Downed Stop Sign
Rusty Fire Hydrant
I decided to go for a walk and look for accidental art. When I walk I think about things that are important in my life or that are weighing on my mind. So for this walk I decided to take my family. My wife is the most creative person I know, when she looks at junk she looks with an eye of what can I do to improve this or make this pretty, but I look at junk and think, "wow, thats a piece of junk, where is the closest garbage can." So my hope was that she would point out all these amazing pieces of accidental art as we walked around. Much to my surprise this didn't really happen, she pointed out the occasional item here and there but nothing that was truly amazing to me. For the first time on a walk as a family I was the one who was looking at what was going by my feet and what was happening, still nothing amazing was popping out. Then I started to looking at the things that my son was pointing out along the way. I decided that I would only take pictures, from that moment on, of the things that he pointed at and found interesting. Now I can only assume that the things that he was pointing at were interesting to him, as he doesn't really talk much yet. This idea really opened my eyes to some pretty cool art, they were items that I was seeing too, but he was looking at them with young, fresh eyes and I was looking at them with old, jaded eyes. It was truly refreshing to be excited about a downed stop sign or a rusty fire hydrant. As I walked around the rest of the day I tried to think of how my son would react if he were in my shoes. It showed me that art is truly in the eye of the beholder and that anything at anytime can be considered art.
Mud, all my son wanted was to do was stomp around in this




4 comments:

  1. Very Cool! Even the simple stuff is art :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love how you went about doing this. Sometime the best thing to do is to look at things through the eyes of the child. Often times we get so used to our surroundings we forget what it was like when everything was new to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is awesome. It's like imposing a restriction on yourself, which allowed you to see more than when your options were unlimited. Kids are so great because they have a totally limitless flow of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I really like the downed street sign. Good composition.

    ReplyDelete