Thursday, September 12, 2013

Mountains in a Parking Garage


I was walking and stumbled across a parking garage and thought there must be something cool in there. I was at first a little grossed out by what I found. 

The picture shows a bunch of little mounds in standing water. The water looked very gross and the mounds looked equally gross. 
Then I started looking at them a lot closer and thought about how these strange mounds were formed. 


Upon closer examination I discovered that the mounds were little deposits of sediment. Similar to stalagmites found in caves. This struck me with a kind of awe that in a parking garage in Provo the conditions were perfect for these things to form. I started thinking about how long it must have taken for the water to continually drip from the ceiling to create such things. My guess is that is has taken several years. I find this so fascinating because I have never seen something like is before and I wonder how many people see it everyday and glance right past this accidental art.

-Derek Jacobs

2 comments:

  1. That's crazy. I never considered anything man made would have stalagmites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek-i thought this one was so interesting-great observation

    ReplyDelete