Thursday, September 12, 2013

the ground

The idea of accidental art really got me thinking. How is it that when I have such a routine, I miss the most obvious things that I come in contact with every single day? I was really focussing on this while I was walking around the last couple of days. I realized that the while I do look around and up, I hardly ever look down while I am walking. I have always just assumed that natural beauty does't come from something so mundane, practical, and even dirty as the ground. So, in an attempt to change my point of view, I decided to start really paying attention to what was beneath me. In the short period of time that I experimented with this I found that some of the most interesting and complex forms of art are ones that I come in direct and physical contact with almost constantly and yet hardly ever take note of.
The textures and unevenness of blacktop is something I had never really thought about, let alone viewed as beauty. The complexity of it really is amazing. 
The fact that this ground was wearing at different times and levels (the darker areas) added a really cool element that I may not have otherwise noticed if I hadn't been taking the time to pay attention to the ground.

18 comments:

  1. Another truth that great things come about by little things. That is something I have never thought of, that the asphalt we drive on everyday can have art embedded in it. Cool thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was funny because when you're in a profession like interior design or landscape architecture, so much detail goes into whats under your feet! As I sit looking at the carpet in the CougarEat I can't help but wonder why they chose this carpet. It's funny how little things like that go unnoticed although they had so much thought put into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the same thing as I did my project. There is so much beauty and uniqueness, literally, right beneath our feet. It's amazing how much we discover if we just take time to try and discover it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of focusing on the mundane. I also appreciate the visual difference between the industrialized and natural mundane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your idea. This definitely was creative. I mean, how often do we notice the stuff that is right beneath our feet? There is just so many ways to see the world around us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked your idea. This definitely was creative. I mean, how often do we notice the stuff that is right beneath our feet? There is just so many ways to see the world around us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you found art in the simple things we pass by everyday. It is incredible what we can find when we are open to it. Love you project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you found art in the simple things we pass by everyday. It is incredible what we can find when we are open to it. Love you project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im loving the tile picture too. The way you took it too makes it more visually interesting. But it's crazy to think had you moved the camera closer or further away that you would have captured a totally different view of the tile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great thoughts. I like how this project forced us to pay closer attention to our surroundings, specifically the ground we walk on. It's crazy to think how uneven the ground is when you examine it up close.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how simple things can shows us how beautiful life can be. Definitely this project has made me realize that sometimes we just have to open our eyes to the wonderful things life offer us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that shot of the blacktop. With the blur and a little imagination, it kind of looks like a satellite photo of a city.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved your perspective in these pictures. It really changes what we see when we look down instead of up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blacktop. Reminded me of what sand looks like under a microscope. CRAZY http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/05/article-2011471-0CDEE2E700000578-366_964x894.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blacktop. Reminded me of what sand looks like under a microscope. CRAZY http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/05/article-2011471-0CDEE2E700000578-366_964x894.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blacktop. Reminded me of what sand looks like under a microscope. CRAZY http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/05/article-2011471-0CDEE2E700000578-366_964x894.jpg

    ReplyDelete