Thursday, September 12, 2013

Construction can be beautiful

I live in the new apartments of Old Academy.   (I usually just call it New Academy these days).  Anyways, construction has been a constant since I moved in.  Typically, I'm annoyed by the noise, the garbage and debri everywhere and the chaos.  This morning though, as I set off on my morning run, I realized creative art began right outside of my doorstep.  My mind was opened in a new way and I felt like I understood art like I understood the beauty in construction for the first time.  



This last one is my personal favorite.  What used to be a rubbish pile because a picasso-like tree creation.  This assignment changed my perspective on change, whether because of construction or other experiences we face in life.  There's always something beautiful that can be found. 

3 comments:

  1. I lived in these apartments during the construction and it made me really mad to wake up to chain saws, jack hammers and nail guns every morning beginning at 6am(which is illegal by the way). The construction started in January and was not done until I left in August. I am glad that you found the beauty in the construction. I got so annoyed living here that I decided I could complain about everything I hated about it or I could be grateful. To be creative to find beauty and gratitude during this construction time was difficult but I found joy in the technology that was being used, that such a structure could be erected at such a pace. I noticed the workers and was happy for them that they were working instead of being unemployed or doing nothing with their lives. I would begin to imagine what there family was like, who they were providing for and I was able to tolerate my last few months alot better.

    ReplyDelete