Thursday, September 12, 2013

Creative Expression: Does it require conscious, deliberate actions?



As I went on my walk around Thanksgiving Point for the accidental art assignment a few questions came to mind. First, is creativity only expressed by conscious or deliberate actions? The topic of “accidental art” would seem to suggest that creativity does not require either of these things and I shot several images that seemed to support this. However, another question popped up that challenged this notion. Is it the person who notices and captures a scene who is displaying creativity and not the scene itself? It’s similar to the idea that if a tree falls in a forest and now one is around to hear it, is it a sound? I could see people making an argument both ways but for me the answer comes from a final question… If a person saw a random, interesting or “creative” scene but chose not to capture it in any way and years later tried to explain it to other people, would others say, “That is so creative?” Probably not.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea that you present here. It is interesting to think about where the true art lies with accidental art... I would have to agree with you that it is with the person who notices and documents the art, because that is the person who saw past the mundane and found the beauty.

    ReplyDelete