Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Thoughts

The thought came to me that what if everyone viewed a certain color as a different color personally. For example what if the color red really looked purple to me but green to you, we have just been trained to know that, that color is "red." So what if everyone is viewing different colors all the time! Maybe my sky is actually yellow to you and your sun is pink to me! That would be crazy! And how would we know if this is true or not. We can't really. Our whole lives we have been trained to know that certain colors are called certain names. Its amazing to think that the colors I see could be different than what others see. Who knows if its actually true or not but the fact that it could maybe be possible is really intriguing. Maybe one day I'll find out if its true or not!

-Jennifer Schmidt

6 comments:

  1. I think there is a psychology term associated with this, synesthesia. I've thought about this a lot. Great insights and thoughts. Very interesting to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true... Basically as children we are brainwashed to accept certain things as truths and we just all accept them because we trust the source and because they are generally accepted as fact, but if a child was raised believing something different, that would be interesting to see how the world would react to them and them to the world.

    Interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered about this. I feel like we probably see stuff the same, but if we didn't it would totally flip our worlds upside down. Art would be the most interesting thing if we had so many different perspectives on the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It probably is true that we all see colors slightly differently due to photoreceptors in our eyes being unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often thought about this too! A little fun fact is that like some people are color blind and cant see certain colors others can see an extra color that the rest of us can't. I have often wondered if some of the great artists like Van Gogh had this gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's pretty wild to think that we can never know what other people are seeing.

    ReplyDelete