Thursday, September 12, 2013

If there were no watches, or clocks, or cellphones, or…


Time Observation-
           I spent most of the day sitting in The Wall restaurant in the Wilk. During this time I witnessed about 4 waves of increased customers. When I realized the waves of people were caused by classes letting-out I realized that each wave was evenly spaced by an hour.
          Once I realized that each wave was an hour apart, I was able to predict the waves by how many songs had been played over the radio. This leads to the second way I found to observe the passing of time. I figured each song was about an average of three and a half minutes long. When I realized I would want to eat something before class started I mad sure to order my food after the 11th or 12th song just to be sure I wasn’t going to have a long wait for my food.
           Traffic. During the summer months I sell home security. I spent all day, everyday either in the same neighborhood or driving all day in the car around town. I rarely had a need to look at the time during work but I would always know when 12:30 and 5:30 came around because of the immediate increase in vehicles on the road during lunch/rush hour. Traffic is very consistent and a dependable way of knowing what time it is.

14 comments:

  1. I'm curious to know whether you thought time passed faster or slower when you started counting time in songs. I used to run and I sometimes caught myself counting time in songs, but I had to break the habit because it was discouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you were able to connect all the ways to measure time! One thing lead to another in a way, it was interesting to read this and then realize how often I do that in my own life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool observations! I pick up on a lot of those same things in my own daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a super cool idea. We notice things like rush hour, congregations of students between classes, and when restaurants seem to be the busiest, but it's pretty rare that we actually use that as a means for telling what time it is. For me, it is more of an observation. This was a great way to think outside the box a little bit. Who knew there were so many ways to tell time that don't involve clocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work at Cougar Cafe in the Wilk and I don't need to look at the clock when we get a rush of customers- it's based on the hour, or usually ten minutes before it when classes let out. Watching the waves of people come and go around us, whether it's car traffic, student pedestrians, or buses, is definitely a good way to track general time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really unique way of documenting the passage of time. It is interesting that on campus you can tell what time it is simply by the amount of people in certain areas. I like how you connected all these different points

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally predict how long my shift has left by the rushes of people coming through the bookstore during passing periods! Isn't it amazing how predictable we all are?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate going to get food during normal class breaks, its always busy. if you are in the Wilk you never need a clock, just watch for a rush of people and you know it's the top of the hour. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so true! I have never thought of appreciating traffic in that way, but as a way to gage time, brilliant. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome way to look at time. These are both examples that I think everyone can look at. Next time I order food I'll try to time the service by the number of songs that I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Time is a very interesting subject. We got talking about time in my pearl of great price class and it blew my mind

    ReplyDelete
  13. The wall is awesome. Check out some local bands there, there are definitely some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice Observations. It is amazing to think that we only use numbers in most cases to calculate time.

    ReplyDelete