Thursday, September 12, 2013

Thought Experiment...

This assignment brings me back to my childhood, when I'd do this all the time and come up with some pretty crazy explanations and answers to theoretical questions. Now that I'm older (and wiser?) it is much more difficult. It is harder for me to break through the mind block that insists that this is silly or pointless. Here are some of the questions and answers I came up with. (Something that I think would be really fun to do would be to ask kids these same questions and see what kind of answers they come up with!)

What if every picture we had of ourselves could talk to us and tell us what we were thinking in that exact moment?
We would be able to learn so much about our ancestors and those who have passed on. But if we did know this, then I think we would be much much more careful about what we were thinking about when someone took a picture of us. 

What if our eyes were interchangeable with other people's and if we traded we could literally "see" how they see the world. 
This would be awesome. I've always to see myself through another person's eyes. I think this would also help us become more tolerant of others and their different ideas and opinions. 

What if animals could speak to us? 
This has always been a dream of mine. If I could be Eliza Thornberry for one day my life would be complete. I know animals have thoughts and feelings, and if they could express those to us we could learn so much. Think of talking to a cheetah about how he runs so fast, or a whale about how it is to live their entire lives under water. We could also probably make some medical and technological breakthroughs. 



4 comments:

  1. I like the talking picture one. I think the most interesting ones would be candid photos, the ones where they didn't know the picture was being taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of being able to switch eye balls with someone and see the world from their point of view. If this were possible I think the world would be a much more loving and peaceful place. I also think it would be cool to be able to experience different cultures through members of that culture and not as an outsider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the point that you made about how being older kind of makes these things harder for us. Little kids have such amazing imaginations and it's so true that growing up tends to hinder us in that department.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the eyeballs idea. It would make so many of us think in such different ways. I'm not sure it would make us love others or be any kinder, but it would definitely change our perspective on a lot of things in life.

    ReplyDelete