Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Ants on the sidewalk: nature's installation piece


In the art world artists create installation works. Often grandiose, collections of items are brought together to make pieces unique in both scale and nature. This assembly of ants is a microcosm of an installation: nature's installation. Although the number of ants is indistinguishable, the culmination of the group becomes in a very real sense a type of sculpture. A unique aspect of installation art is that it is erected by the artist on a temporary basis. Once the installation has served its purpose, it is dissembled and never exists again. Similarly, this group of ants is in a self-directed (albeit random) formation that is completely temporary. After the ants are done congregating, they will disperse and deconstruct the beautiful piece that is portrayed in the photographs. Ants are rarely regarded as anything but a nuisance, but there is a lot to appreciate considering how many individuals are coordinating to make this image: possibly more than students that attend BYU. Along a similar line of thought, nature, or deity, is the ultimate installation artist. Their pieces are more subtle, yes, but the works are certainly just as significant as anything ever made by Kurt Schwitters or Chris Burden.








12 comments:

  1. I love the connections made between the worlds of art and nature. Great photos and intelligent writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was way cool. I can honestly say I have never looked at dirt looking for art, but these were some great shots. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some awesome shots! It is neat to think about the contribution to nature (and simultaneously art) of even the most seemingly significant characters or objects. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love it! There's nothing more beautiful and fleeting than nature. And, you managed to find beauty in something that most people find repulsive. It's all about perspective, isn't it! Even the tiniest little ant can become a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ants almost remind me of pointillism. It's truly accidental art! If you would have walked by at any other moment the scene could have been totally different. Really cool insight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see ant hills all the time and love to stop and watch them. You captured the activity wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this! Definitely one of my favorites. I'm the worst photographer so I appreciate the different views and shots. They make the subject that much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this! Definitely one of my favorites. I'm the worst photographer so I appreciate the different views and shots. They make the subject that much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... so interesting! A nice way of seeing art in the nature :).

    ReplyDelete