Thursday, September 12, 2013

Accidental art....at an Art Museum?





People enter the Springville Art Museum expecting to be amazed by some of the best art in the state. But how many expect to see art outside the building?
I studied debris and a bucket, an unopened newspaper with only the word "Remember" visible, broken windows filled in with foam, and a faded handicap parking spot with a leaf.
My personal favorite was this trash can hidden behind the building, who I imagined wanting to be included in the museum and boldly declaring himself as "126 ART". I think he speaks for all of the everyday art that goes unnoticed in the shadow of bigger, "real art".


9 comments:

  1. I like the different angles and textures you captured in the photos, and the play on words on the trash can. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you saw art in an unexpected place. I think coming into the museum with that eye, open to the possibilities is a powerful tool for recognizing great things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. super good-I really like your newspaper observation

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something beautifully ironic when one goes to a museum and makes the trash art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. funny that this is at a museum! good work looking for the ordinary and finding art in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the hidden messages you found and your interpretation of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have never thought to look for accidental art at an actual museum. That was very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a cool idea! finding accidental art in what is seemingly the most obvious place to find intended art. This really shows you we can find it everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pictures at the top of the post.

    ReplyDelete