Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Landscape World - Accidental Art


As I walked home from class Tuesday, I tried to look for accidental art around me. I noticed some tar lines in the road that were interesting and sticks laid on top of each other in a sort of pattern. I grabbed my camera and went back out into the world, snapping photos of every oil spill and piece of curled tree bark, but I wouldn't call those pictures art. They just looked like zoomed in pictures of oils spills and tree bark.

Though "art" is a vague, subjective term that can describe almost anything, I wanted to find something that I really felt was beautiful. And while I lingered for a few moments on the curly-que shape of the dog droppings in my yard, it was only when I stopped searching and started observing that I saw the big picture of beauty around me.

When I zoomed my lens out of focus to remove the detail from what I was looking at, I noticed the beauty of the contrasting shapes around me. Through the unfocused lens of my camera, my suburban neighborhood was transformed into a world of blurry landscapes. This was my favorite image. I think it's a cul-de-sac with some trees, but I think it looks like Michael Jackson.

4 comments:

  1. Great shot-really like how you're able to see the uniqueness and sometimes beauty in abstract images-if you think about it, most "impressionist" paintings have this feel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was waiting for the picture to come into focus, I thought my computer was going slow. But then I read the description. Great idea, and unique way of looking through the camera

    ReplyDelete
  3. It kind of looks like you are looking up at a giant gandalf who is wearing two wizard hats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the process you went through and how the result happened spontaneously. Really good post.

    ReplyDelete