Monday, September 23, 2013

Semiotics I

What is the signifier? At it's base level it is just a bronze statue of a bull placed in a very aggressive stance. It looks like it is about to pounce on something, or maybe ram something head on.

What does it signify? In my opinion it signifies power and within its context signifies the American stock exchange, and more generally the economic power of America. Much like America likes to portray a sense of dominance, this bull is completely in charge of any situation and is the most dominant figure in the scene. His appearance is very stalwart, as shown with his determined eyes, he is not going to move or change course even if something difficult comes along. Its body is very lean but powerful, signifying an ability to continue in dominance even in more meager of times.

What supports my analysis? Because I know some details regarding the location of the statue, and its history it helped me to understand better what the bull signified without just having to randomly guess. Because the Stock Exchange, Wall Street, and the American economy in general is a very cutthroat and ambitious place I feel that my thoughts regarding this statue are supported.





No comments:

Post a Comment