Sunday, September 22, 2013

Semiotics of the Bull

Signifier:  I've seen photos of this statue multiple times and it has always been a statue of a bull to me.  That's what I see(saw) when I look at it.

After doing some reading from various accounts, I'm came to find out that the name of the statue is "The Charging Bull."  Although at times it has been called "The Bowling Green Bull" and the "Wall Street Bull."  Interesting titles for the statue, so I dug a little deeper.  The Bull was designed to look like it was energetic and in motion, its face portraying an angry visage.  All this to capture the aggression that surrounds the ups and downs of financial optimism and how precarious prosperity is in the stock market.  The Bull embodies the idea that the stock market is always in motion and that it is an angry and unforgiving place.  This is a place for the quick thinking and sure footed.

In support of my analysis, I have feedback from a couple of sources.  The main being one of my relatives.  He used to be very involved in the stock market and at get-togethers we would always hear his latest endeavor.  I remember him telling me how dangerous a place it was.  He would always tell me how you needed to be two steps ahead, and to always stay focused on its changes.  The second you looked away it would knock you down.  He was talking about the stock market, but he could have very well been talking about a bull as well.  From what I've heard officially, and also second-hand, the stock market feels like a living entity.  A very angry, constantly-in-motion entity.  Not unlike a raging bull.

No comments:

Post a Comment