Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Passing of Time, Starring my Pet Bunny!

Usually whenever I come home in between classes or work, I let my bunny Momma roam the kitchen as I work on homework at the table. Since she needs to use the bunny toilet quite often, it's important that I keep tabs on her and where she likes to hang out so that I can stick her back in her corral after she's had "playtime" for awhile. From observing her the past few days, I realized there is a method to her hopping madness. She spends about 10 minutes in one area, then retreats to another area for about 30 minutes, and then returns to the first spot for another 10 minutes. There are slight variations each day, but her routine is pretty consistent for the most part. I try to keep her out no longer than one hour to an hour and a half each time. So I can count the minutes (without using a clock, since I can just notice when she changes positions) this way:

Spot one for 10 minutes
Spot two for 30 minutes
Spot one for 10 minutes
Spot two for 20-30 minutes
Back to the corral!

Interestingly enough, I've noted that when I let her out to play in other rooms, she doesn't have the same type of routing. She'll just hop maniacally from one spot to the other. But at least this method is useful in the kitchen!
Spot 1: Bunnies love cords! (Don't worry, we don't let her chew them:))

Spot 2: Momma loves to hide behind this painting to avoid "predators" :)
And of course I can't forget Momma! (Photo courtesy of my friend Kim)

3 comments:

  1. That's really interesting that Momma has that kind of a routine. And what a great way to know how much time has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really interesting! I think that it is awesome that you were in tune enough with your bunny to notice a pattern, then use that pattern to tell time. Very creative solution to the class project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a unique approach to the assignment. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete