Thursday, September 12, 2013

Wandering Around Salt Lake City in the Middle of the Night








I had been wanting to explore Salt Lake city a little bit more in depth since I moved here years ago, and last night I did.







                                                                                                                      I left my phone at home so I couldn't keep track of the time or be yoinked back into the "real" world. I brought a male friend with me as a safety precaution and he had his phone, but just to take pictures. Neither of us really knew anything about Salt Lake, so we took the downtown exit, drove into the taller buildings and parked in front of a gorgeous piece of street art, got out and looked at it for a while then turned and just started walking.  



Soon after we started I made it a rule that we could not retrace our steps at any point, so we ended up wandering around a few city blocks and saw tons of cool shops and a beautiful urban-style park. After getting up on an open balcony I noticed this run down, old-school restaurant in the middle of several large, industrious buildings and we paused there to look at if for a while. 






                                                                                             Walking passed a building under construction we looked in the windows and saw these scriptures sitting open and waiting and thought, "only in Utah". It was amusing and intriguing.

                                                                                                   I loved the lighting and painting in this alley way that we almost passed because it was tucked away between two huge buildings. I'm glad we noticed it though because it had such an awesome atmosphere and was a great natural setting for a photo shoot or music video, both of which I love to make so I will probably be revisiting this place. If I can remember where it was...











There is something magical about being out in a big city at night, I have always loved it. It makes me feel like the world is brimming with possibilities and like all I have to do is reach out and grab them. To wander around Salt Lake in the middle of the night without any ties or obligations, it was truly liberating.

26 comments:

  1. Do you remember where the street art of the woman's face was??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember what the street was called but I'm pretty sure it was the street south of the Gallivan Center?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great project. I'm sure that you had some awesome experience. I would love to hear the story about why there are scriptures. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a super cool idea. Favorite part was definitely finding the scriptures in the alley in Salt Lake. Only in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job bringing someone with you. Even Salt lake can get pretty sketch at night if you wander down the wrong corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're happy to still have you with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're happy to still have you with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed you went somewhere other than BYU campus. I'm impressed you took time out of your day to do this project other than in between class. Good job for going the extra mile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love SLC and I'm honestly jealous that I didn't do this. Wandering around/ people watching are both super fun. I can only imagine what you would have seen if yout went multiple times,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being a tourist in your own town can really show you a lot of things you've never seen! There is art and stuff everywhere, but we just don't look. This was a great idea and turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked hearing more about your post in class. The spontaneity of it all really adds to the "artistry" of it. I think secretly we all wish we had the inclination to do just what you did! Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the way a city looks depends partly on the time of day. This was a really cool idea. I wonder how different it would be if you went back during the day and did the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire that you took off for Salt Lake, even though it was late at night. I bet it was a relief and so nice to get away from the chaotic life of a college student. I bet the world would be a lot happier if we all took time to just take an adventure and not think about all the stresses of life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great adventure! And I can't believe the beautiful things you captured on camera.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE THIS. so interesting and it's awesome that you literally will never walk that same walk again and see or experience what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so awesome, I think that you did a great job and really took the assignment and ran with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You make me want to go explore my city! I've been to Salt Lake so many times in my life but you saw it in a completely different light. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You make me want to go explore my city! I've been to Salt Lake so many times in my life but you saw it in a completely different light. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Salt Lake is such an amazing place to go explore because it is a city with such history and artistic influences. It's beautiful to just wander around

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great because I have grown up in SLC and have never encountered any of these things! So cool how different things can stand out to us at different times of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I lived in Salt Lake for the past year and my favorite thing to do was explore the city at night. You could wander aimlessly every night for months and still not see everything there is to see.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed this post! I love being in the middle of the city and especially as the weather cools down. There are so many hidden gems to be found. I think it might be time for me to head back up to Salt Lake!

    ReplyDelete