Friday, September 6, 2013

Creativity With a Hint of Onion

As I looked into my empty fridge tonight thinking, "I have nothing to eat," I decided to put my creativity in problem solving to the test. Thankfully my starving brain came up with a pretty yummy idea. Along with some random condiments and a wilted head of lettuce, here's what I had in my fridge: the last 1/4 of a tomato, half of a white onion, two eggs, half of a mushy avocado. Thankfully I had the sense to buy a loaf of bread Monday night on my way back into Provo after Labor Day weekend. Even though I would never think of eating eggs for dinner unless they were in fried rice, I cooked up one of the eggs by cracking it in a frying pan and covering it to be steamed. My mushy avocado spread nicely on one slice of bread to give my sandwich the perfect amount of moisture. I sliced what was left of my tomato and salted it after I laid it on the avocado-smothered bread. Next I put my steamed egg over the tomato and avocado, topped it with onions that I browned in the frying, and finally crowned my creation with another piece of wheat bread. When I cut my egg sandwich in half, the yolk broke and soaked into the bread. Usually I don't even like the yolk but it was actually really good soaked into the bread and paired with the distinct tastes from the onions, avocado, and salted tomato. Perhaps this sounds like the grossest sandwich ever, and I'll admit I was hesitant to try it, but I promise it was SO good because it was out of the ordinary for my taste buds! And yes, I realize McDonald's sells Egg McMuffins (basically egg sandwiches!), but I never would have thought to make my own sandwich with an egg - especially for dinner. I dare you to try it!

Who knew the "limitations" of being a worn-out college kid who doesn't want to cook or grocery shop and doesn't have a money tree could turn out so yummy?

No comments:

Post a Comment