Monday, January 11, 2016

A Single Story - BroYU

Making out.

Then getting out.

It's an uphill battle. Have you ever been a man in Provo, while also being a hopeless romantic in Provo? If you have, you're probably in the majority. You've been raised by a good mother, who has taught you to treat yourself, and others, with respect. You've spent time daydreaming about the chance to end up with a woman who will love you as much as you love her. If you're male and already gagging, you are not this man.

Well I am. But like I said, I'm fighting an uphill battle. Why? BroYU. I have been dropped a few eves in my day, and have heard more than a few times, one concerning notion from women: "Seriously all Provo boys are the same."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/justice/1382883-155/bro-mormon-star-williams-erin-jezebel

I've been placed in this unfortunate pinhole before, and it tears me up into little tiny pieces. Take this little boy, who was raised by his mother on stories of men like Mr. Darcey, who has an amazing father figure in his life, who had dreamed of romance and happy endings - take him and then grow him up, and toss him into a flock of women, all outwardly beautiful and kind....only to find that they've already written a single story about him, because of the way he looks or the car he drives or a single example of a wrong decision. He is now, as I said, torn into teeny tiny pieces as he searches for some sort of woman who doesn't want to just make out, and get out, because well.....he's just a bro anyway. And a bro would have done the same thing to me.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Provo+All+Star

That same woman probably doesn't know the reasons why I work hard, or what I do to make money (I'll give you a hint, it's not summer sales). She probably doesn't know that the reason we didn't go on a second date was because she was clearly not being true to herself, or else that true self was caught up in some sort of social rat race. She probably decided last night that we were just going to make out.

Well BroYU, sucks to be you. And I mean that. So I bought two dogs, moved far off campus, and realized life goes on outside the single story.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you meant this to be funny, but I found it very entertaining. Also, I agree with what you've said. I have seven brothers, two of which are single and living in Provo, and so I have seen in depth both the woman's side and the man's side in the dating story. There are faults on both sides of the "dating game," which should not really be categorized as a game anyway because we are gambling with eternity, but it happens.

    I am happy that you have found that life goes on and I hope you are just as happy far far away with your dogs as I am living very close to campus and deriving entertainment from this game everyone around me is so intent on playing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fun read and I liked the articles you found that support your cause. For future's sake...I don't think this would be considered a minority to most.

    ReplyDelete