Monday, January 11, 2016

Perception 1 - Downtown Provo

A Closer Look down Center Street
Call me crazy, but after 2 years living in Provo, I've never actually taken the time to walk around downtown Provo. Sure I've been to Bruges Waffles, Afuego Friday, and Hruska's, but I had never actually taken the time to look around. So I decided to hit it right at the heart - a long walk up and down Center Street. I was amazed not only at what I found and the variety of stores on Center Street alone, but of all the cool history I was able to learn about these places. 
This is a famous building right at the heart of Center Street. I've probably driven past it 50 million times. What I had never noticed before is the "Excelsior" sign up on the second floor. So I did some research. Come to find out, Excelsior used to be a hotel that opened back in 1983, and was actually the largest building in Provo and a HUGE deal back then. In fact, the Governor at that time, Scott Matheson called said, "This is the biggest economic influence in this valley that I have ever seen." The Hotel went on to have several different names and is now part of the Marriott Hotel and housing several Center Street shops. 

This was a surprise - downtown Provo is trendy and clever! I looked up what "The Big Door Network" is... Its a Provo based ad agency! Yay for fellow aders! Good job. 

This is a picture of one of the many shops on the south side of Center Street that are closed or being renovated. It also shows how historic and old downtown Provo really is - former ads for Farm Machinery are still on the wall! It also shows how downtown Provo has expanded throughout the years - this used to be the side of a building. 

Never thought I would see another church on Center Street! Apparently it just barely closed at the end of 2015. 

 Oooo a secret door? What could it be? A yoga studio. "The Yoga Underground" opened in 2010 and actually have traveling yoga retreats to places such as France and Hawaii this year. Pretty crazy for just some random door in an alley. 
Star Wars have truly taken over. This is a window display for a hair salon in Downtown Provo. There's not really any reason for the display to have Star Wars - it doesn't really advertise anything, but then who doesn't want a Star Wars die hard to cut their hair?

After a walk up and down Center Street, I realized just how much is down there that I had never known about. And like a true old fashion Main Street, most all of the businesses were small business start ups - intentional brilliance right in our backyard. Although they were a bit obvious and had obviously been there for years, discovering these places made me appreciate Provo more than ever. This is a place where creativity thrives, where businesses begin, and where innovation is welcomed. BYU must have a huge part in that. I'm so proud to attend a university that helps build these dreams, even if they are owning a little shop on Center Street. 
Center Street - a perfect blend of the past and the future.

1 comment:

  1. These were some fun finds, and I liked your first couple of photos as well.

    ReplyDelete