Sunday, January 10, 2016

Perception #2 - Portlandia


I grew up in a town just outside of Portland, Oregon called Vancouver, Washington. When I introduce myself, I almost always tell people that I am from Portland because if I say I am from Vancouver people think I am Canadian. 


Portland is viewed as the hipster capital of the world, and when anyone pictures Portland in their mind they see the tv show "Portlandia." This show depicted a wide arrange of people that could/ might live in Portland. After living there my whole life, I can tell you that the show is fairly accurate, but it really only shows one side of the city. 


Here are a couple of false Portland-ism

While it is true that Portland is filled with hipsters, not everyone wears fake glasses and listens to obscure songs. And while there is a day where citizens of Portland ride their bike around naked, it is only a small group and it happens only once a year. Everyone's heard of Voodoo doughnuts, but we do have regular doughnut shops in the city.  Even though some Portlanders only eat tofu and salads, many people enjoy a nice juicy hamburger. And it does rain a lot (about 39 inches a year), but it rains more in New York (about 48 inches a year). 






A couple of times that I have talk to people about my home area, almost every time people have asked me about almost all of the portland-ism mentioned above. We are not all like the Portlandia show depicts. We have normal lives - well most of us anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Cool! I've always wanted to go to Portland so it's good to know not everyone is weird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - these are all things I thought about Portland! Never realized that it rains more in New York - blew my mind. Would've loved even more examples - This is so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am from the Vancouver area as well! I was happy to see this topic since people ask me if I'm from Canada as well. And if I say I'm from Washington, they'll think I'm from DC! Good topic...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Portlandia totally supports the single story of Portland, but it would have been nice to see some more artifacts out there of how others fuel this single story.

    ReplyDelete