Monday, January 11, 2016

Perception #1:


I never realized how influenced Center street is by the local governmental buildings that surround the area. Not only are their five city buildings right off of Center street, but one Federal building and two state buildings. I also never realized how these governmental agencies advertise, such as the use of white ribbons on the trees encouraging people to buy their "Test for Radon" kits.












Center street is known for its restaurants -- specifically sushi and other oriental foods. What I had not realized before was that each Asian/oriental restaurant had a mailbox to match!


NO PARKING: Violators will be towed.

BELOW: A plaque outside of one of the local attorney's offices documents the history of Brigham Young University. Not only was the information new and interesting, but presented in a manner that made me feel like I was living in old pioneer times. Why it was posted outside of the attorney's office was a mystery to me.

BELOW: I spend so much time looking at what is in front of me that I never take the time to look up. On center street is the name EXCELSIOR and 1880. After some research I found out that EXCELSIOR is often used to show superiority in newspapers and hotels--leading me to believe that this was at one time a printing shop (the printing museum is just down the street--another hidden treasure).



One of the most unique things about Center Street in Provo is that not only are the windows packed with interesting things, but the walls surrounding the windows. I never realized how each building carries its own identity and structure, making it seem like Center street is an eclectic group of different buildings created at different times. I took the time to look up today--instead of the nearby shops and sidewalk--and the design of the buildings was quite beautiful. Another defining characteristic of my Center Street visit was the immense amount of irony I found, such as the example I posted of the old car being parked at the DO NOT PARK sign. The car had a FOR SALE sign and appeared to have been parked there since the 60's. My adventures signified to me that age of Center street, adding to its beauty. The older something is for me, the more experiences it seems to carry. 

1 comment: