Monday, January 25, 2016

Composition Photography "New"

Subject/Background
The Musician & His Mistress
The focus of this photo has two parts--the blue piano, and the empty stool. Where is the musician? The subject not only tells a story, but forces the viewer to make up characters and a plot.

As far as photo shop, I dimmed the background to force the eye to the piano and stool. I still left some color in the painted car on the wall to keep the photo balanced. I then dulled the colors and warmed them, making it look like an older image--to match the old piano feel of the image.


Balance

Crisp at North Park
I spent some time going over the balance videos that were shown in class and attempted to play with the most difficult of balancing photos --space as a balancer. The tree to the far right takes up a lot of space and is very dark, while a much smaller tree takes up the near center. At first it appears that the photo is heavier to the right, but I made sure that the far left had a heavy amount of space and 'blank clouds' to offset the heavy right. Heavy space with a heavy mass across a vertical fulcrum keep the photo balanced (Note I had to take a lot of photos for this one).
       As far as photo shop, I made the clouds on the far left much lighter to create that balance and increased the contrast in the photo. Increasing the contrast allows the viewer to focus on the house instead of the sunset.

Point of View
What to Eat...?
We are so used to looking into the refrigerator for food...but what does that look like in the point of view of the food? Or in my case, the empty shelves?

I changed the photo to a black and white because the contrast of my dark clothing to the white refrigerator is appealing to the eye. The black bottles in contrast to the white refrigerator door also attract the eye, showing everyday items one may find if they open up their fridge.  I lessened the light that comes through the window in the background so it no longer is the first thing the viewer sees.



Carla Swensen
Comms313 Section 1

1 comment:

  1. Point of view shot is real good-don't see that perspective often. In terms of balance, I think it would be more effective if the tree on right were in the frame more and if there weren't the tree in the middle-it competes with the tree on the left

    ReplyDelete