Sunday, January 24, 2016

Photography//Composition

Subject/Background:

Using the rule of thirds, I placed my subject so that you can see the mountains, grass, and trees behind her, but it is still obvious that she is the subject of the photograph. I also tried to accomplish this using the aperture on my camera. A shallower depth of field makes my subject stand out more than the background because she is what my focus is on. In photoshop, I played around with the color hues of her lips to make them more of a magenta color than a red. I also increased the saturation of green in this photo to make the grass and trees appear more alive.




Point of View:

To accomplish this element of composition, I thought of a unique way I could shoot. Instead of just doing a typical headshot, I shot through the branches of the tree to add interest. It took me several shots to get it right, because I didn't want it to look random or distracting. I think that shooting this way is a unique way of looking at this picture because it adds so much energy and interest. In photoshop, I upped the exposure a bit to really make the branches come out and give it a colder wintery feel.




Balance:

In this picture, I think the button balances the stark contrast of the yellow and red pencil against the blue shirt. If the button was not there, the photo would feel extremely heavy on the right. With the button added, it give weight through contrast of the white and blue colors on the left side. In photoshop, I changed the hue of the eraser and pencil to be more red and golden. They were originally more faded colors, so I also increased saturation.


1 comment: