Monday, January 11, 2016

Perception 2: The single story of Crossfit

Single Story: Crossfitters only talk about Crossfit

Crossfit is a strength and condition program created and used by many police academies, operations and military units as well as by martial artists and other elite professional athletes all around the world according to Crossfit.com. However, when speaking to a Crossfitter, it is the workout of the Gods. It is as if they work out with Hercules or something.







Before you find me completely judgmental, which partially this assignment is about anyway. I have done Crossfit. And I will admit, I have been that person to talk another's ear off because of my so called experience. The workouts are hard, you will get stronger and there is a lot of time and energy that goes into each WOD (Crossfit term for workout of the day). But I wouldn't say you get any stronger than any other weight bearing exercise if done for an extensive amount of time with that much such significant amount of weight added continually.

There are passionate Crossfitters who are humble about their strict routines, who do all they can to live normal lives away from all-day gym clothes and paleo diets. I know people who are dedicated to this exercise program though they don't talk about it for hours on end and share workout photos every day on social media. These people exist, but they are few and far between.

Healthy lifestyles are good, they promote better lives. I am glad that Crossfit provides that for some people. I also believe that moderation is healthy and promotes a healthy lifestyle and with that there is something so redundantly annoying about those who can't find it in themselves to shut-up about their daily routine. We get it. It is DAILY!

3 comments:

  1. This is so true. Sometimes I feel more motivated to work out if later I'll be able to tell others, so yeah maybe that's part of it. It does feel a bit excessive and even belittling sometimes to constantly be told that you're not working out as hard as someone else is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You definitely caught my attention with this one. I am friends with one too many crossfitters on social media and I have pretty much blocked all of them because of their incessant crossfit posts. :) Oh well though. It makes me happy to eat taco bell and watch Hulu and it makes them happy to come away from the gym with a new sore muscle every day. To each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This single story is definitely a hot topic right now. I'm glad you tried to tackle it especially being in the group. I would be curious to see if there is any published articles on this single story.

    ReplyDelete