Sunday, January 10, 2016

Downtown Provo Discoveries

I don't know if Center Street and the surrounding area would be considered a "downtown" kind of place in any other part of any other world, but old downtown Provo holds a special place in many people's hearts. My first time really taking notice of downtown Provo was when my parents brought me out to BYU to start my freshman year of college. Now, five years later, I am a little sad to say that my visits to historic downtown have been on an as-need basis, but I was pleasantly surprised to realize that downtown Provo still has as much to offer now as it did 40 years ago when my parents attended BYU.



The first thing I noticed is all of the authentic foreign food places. There is Rocco's food truck(authentic American??:)), Peruvian, El Salvadorian, Mexican, Thai, Chinese and Japanese food places. Then I noticed the coolest place of all, Thai Rolled Ice-Cream! What!? I don't even know what that is, but it sounds awesome and I am stoked that it is being built right on Center Street!




I was pretty surprised to find during my investigation that there are mile marker signs on random streets in Provo. I thought mile marker signs were a specialty reserved for long stretches of highway and other remote places where one would need to count the miles traveled by some way other than the car's odometer, but as it turns out somewhere near 300 North exists a small green sign signifying mile marker number 335. 



After being shocked by the oddity of the mile marker, I saw Johnny's Barber Shop- a quaint, old-fashioned legitimate barber shop. It was awesome! I didn't know that such a shop could stay in business in a college town.



Also, I found, possibly my new favorite place to hang out: Get Out Games, a place where they lock you in a room for an hour with nothing but a few clues and you have to, somehow, find a way out.



The last thing I found was the quaint England style street clock outside of the Zions bank right on University street. I have driven University way too many times in my life and this was my first time noticing the beautiful effort by Zions bank to draw in customers who are fond of quaintness.

Downtown Provo holds many treasures that are still very little known, but I will definitely be making use of the new places I discovered during this assignment.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found some fun new places. Way to shift your own perception.

    ReplyDelete