Monday, January 25, 2016

Composition in Mountains

This weekend I couldn't get over how beautiful the mountains around us are. So I took over a hundred photos of them, haha. Here are some of my favorites - 

This photo was taken in Morgan canyon while I was home on Sunday. It had snowed buckets up there, which this mountain perfect portrayed. The sky was crystal clear without a cloud in the sky. This focuses on POINT OF VIEW - capturing a different angle that is normally viewed. This photo also uses the rule of thirds. The gradient of the blue sky (darker on top to lighter towards the mountain) balances the white space of the photograph. I used photoshop to make this gradient. 



This photo was taken at dawn on my way to work. I literally pulled over on the highway to get this one. I love the angle of the mountain - everything is streaming to the left.  This photo shows BALANCE. It is also composed in the bottom third of the photo, using the rule of thirds. It's almost cut into 3 parts with the mountain, the rising reds, and the purple sky above, balancing the three. I used Photoshop to accentuate the reds and pinks. 


This photo is up Provo canyon. I was going for SUBJECT on this photo - such a strong presence. It also uses the Rule of Thirds, but without as much white space as the previous two. I love the color shown in the dramatic contrast between white and black, as well as the lines throughout the shot. I used photoshop to get rid of a cloud in the upper right corner, making the photo more balanced.

1 comment:

  1. Try to remember balance and the notion of a fulcrum. Right now in your photo there is nothing balancing out the mountain. It is similar to the video we saw-when he took the cow away from the image, all was left was a barren mountainside and thus lost its "balance"

    ReplyDelete