Friday, January 8, 2016

Downtown Provo
























I only visited downtown at night, so I didn't get to pay attention to a lot of things. As I was walking down the street this time, however, I found some interesting things that I have never found before. First of all, I found some creative bike racks engraved with the city name, Provo. I liked the design of it, and I thought people would bring their bikes more because they can easily lock their bikes. News paper vending machines were another thing that I found. I was a little surprised by the cheap price of the news papers. It was $1 except for Sunday, which was $3. I could imagine people eating breakfast or drinking tea while reading news paper. Next, the building has been a National Register, called "Provo Commercial Historic District." The building was built in 1900 by Henry L. Southworth. At the time, there were a butcher shop, clothing store, restaurant, a motel in this building. It was awesome that people took care of this building over a hundred years. Imagining how people lived at the time gave me some goosebumps. I also got to pay attention to the details of the street lights. They had a very faded color, but that made them look more special. The last one is Martha Hughes Cannon's sculpture by Laura Lee Bradshaw. It says Martha was a medical doctor, successful mother and first woman elected to a state senate. I found it very meaningful because there are several sculptures like this on the street downtown where many people come visit. To sum up, downtown Provo described the history of Provo to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment