Friday, January 8, 2016

Dying Beauty






I have driven through downtown Provo hundreds of times but I realized today from my walk that I have never really seen it. Downtown Provo is a dying area. The pictures above show the abandoned poorly constructed buildings but even among the neglect you can find hope and beauty. You can feel the hope in the city when you look down and read the message about making a wish and achieving your dreams.  You can feel the desperation to make this city better in the painted brick crosswalks.  The old ugly brick crosswalk is covered up with white paint in an attempt to beautify the city.  I've seen the mural of the dolphin many times but I never noticed the speech bubble next to the dolphin with the faded words.  I wonder what he was saying.  Even among the faded crosswalks and old murals we see hope in the new buildings such as the convention center and the cafe within it.  There is hope and beauty in this city if you take the time to really look around.

No comments:

Post a Comment